UOW Accommodation campus east


Wollongong attracts students from all over Australia and the world. There are a number of accommodation options for students relocating to Wollongong.


UOW College Homestay allows students to live with a caring local family and be immersed in the Australian way of life. There are many benefits gained from this rich cultural exchange. Students are welcomed as a new member of the household and supported as they adapt to the new culture and lifestyle.

While UOW College Homestay is popular with International students, it can also be used by domestic students. It's available for all kinds of students, including:

  • Study Tour students
  • UOW and UOW College students
  • Primary & Secondary school students
  • TAFE students
  • Visiting professors, teachers, agents & supervising staff


Campus accommodation

All UOW College students are able to apply to live in one of the various UOW Student residences. UOW offers a range of accommodation options conveniently located both on-campus and in the surrounding areas. Student residences offer vibrant communities, with students from diverse cultural backgrounds enjoying being part of an active community, and many make friends for life.

All residences feature student development and peer mentor programs, social, sporting and cultural events, and 24/7 student wellbeing care. Utilities, furniture, laundry and limited car parking are available at each residence.

Demand for UOW accommodation can be quite high so students are encouraged to apply early.

Student games common area at Campus East
Student room at Bangalay
Common student kitchen area at Koolabong Village
Inside student room at Bangalay
Student dining room at Campus East

Live off campus

Choosing the right type of accommodation is an important decision - with many factors including cost and location influencing your decision. Some students opt to join a local share house or rent privately. When choosing a place to live, make sure you take your time and think carefully about what you are looking for. If you have any questions about off campus options, please contact housing-services@uow.edu.au.

Study Stays is UOW’s database of external housing available for students to rent. It lists both single rooms or entire properties available. Register to get contact information for listings, save listings to your shortlist and more.

Find out more about Study Stays.

Shared accommodation is where you either rent a private property with others or move into an established share house. This is a popular option for students moving to Wollongong, as many of the local share houses are available with current UOW students.

This type of accommodation is a great idea if you like to live independently, want to meet new people, or extend your social circle. It is also a cost effective way to live, with rent and bills being split with other people. 

How to find shared accommodation

DISCLAIMERThe sites listed above are independent businesses which are not owned or operated by UOW. It is your responsibility to make sure your accommodation meets your needs. Any rental agreement you enter in to is strictly between you and the accommodation provider.  

Finding a private rental is great for those wanting a truly independent lifestyle. Renting on your own is great if you like your own privacy and space, and can cover the associated costs on your own. If you’re looking to rent through a private landlord or real estate agent, you may choose to establish a new share house  and find friends or other students to move into the house.

How to find a private rental property

DISCLAIMERThe sites listed above are independent businesses which are not owned or operated by UOW. It is your responsibility to make sure your accommodation meets your needs. Any rental agreement you enter in to is strictly between you and the accommodation provider.  

Before deciding on moving into a private rental property, you should consider costs that you may be required to pay aside from the weekly rent. These can include:

  • Rental bond – usually a maximum of 4 weeks in advance but it can sometimes less than this 
  • Rent in advance - generally two weeks in advance in addition to the bond 
  • Utilities - quarterly usage fees for electricity, gas and water. You may also need to pay connection fee.
  • Internet - monthly plan for usage
  • Furniture - you may need to purchase furniture if your property is not furnished 
  • Various household items such as cleaning equipment, kitchenware, etc.

A very useful facility that can assist you with setting up your utilities is www.connectnow.com.au. This web site can assist with what you might need to consider when moving and can organise this for you. 

Private rentals usually require either a 6 or 12 month lease. If you decide you no longer want to live at the property, there is usually be a cost involved in breaking the lease, so ensure you are aware of the details of your lease before signing any documents.  

Sydney offers a range of accommodation options depending on your preferences, however the Sydney rental market can be highly competitive.

The Insider Guides and Study NSW site provide helpful information on accommodation options in Sydney.

UOW provides housing support services for students based in Sydney. The Sydney Housing Support team is dedicated to assisting you with various housing matters including: 

  • finding suitable housing
  • assistance with preparing tenancy documentation
  • tenancy rights and responsibilities
  • support with housing related conflicts and disputes
  • support with manage housing matters impacting your capacity to study
  • emergency or crisis accommodation assistance
  • airport transfer bookings
  • utility connections and services.

You can contact Sydney Housing Support at housingsupport-sydney@uow.edu.au or phone 02 4239 3192.

Visit the UOW Sydney accommodation page for additional helpful links and information.